RVF (Rostropovich-Vishnevskaya Foundation) promotes the health and wellbeing of children in need through sustainable, transformational public health programs in countries around the world. RVF is a non-political and non-partisan organization.
Programs are nationwide in scope and focus on the following areas:
- Modernizing the routine vaccination of children by introducing vaccines recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO)
- Accelerating the elimination of vaccine-preventable diseases through large-scale vaccination initiatives targeting children, youth, women of child-bearing age, and at-risk health care workers
- Screening and treating pregnant women to prevent perinatally transmitted diseases such as hepatitis B and HIV
- Screening, treatment and hygiene education to eliminate intestinal parasites in school-age children
- Screening to detect life-threatening critical congenital heart defects (CCHD) in newborns to ensure prompt treatment
The strategy underlying RVF programs is to create mechanisms of sustainability by strengthening the existing health care infrastructure and avoiding the establishment of parallel structures. RVF staff works with local health authorities to plan every aspect of the programs. Regular training and educational seminars for health care workers ensure that each program meets international standards. All programs are implemented by local health professionals. RVF representatives monitor and assess progress and work with health authorities to solve problems as they arise. Each program is designed to be self-sustaining within 3 to 5 years from inception.
At present RVF supports children’s health programs in the Russian Federation, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and the West Bank and Gaza. To date, over 20 million children and young adults have been saved from illness, suffering and even death through the efforts of the RVF.
Founded in 1991 by Maestro Rostropovich, the world-renowned Russian cellist, and his wife, the soprano Galina Vishnevskaya, the RVF is a publicly-supported non-profit 501(c)(3) organization based in Washington , D.C. Read more about RVF’s financial information here. The RVF also maintains offices in Russia, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Gaza and the West Bank.